After investigating many different sources of change management expertise and business transformation knowledge, I have defined the following domains of transformation to drive change. Transformation is about more than process and system changes, no matter how much emphasis is placed on these elements, too frequently, we ignore the other domains, which too often end up being the root causes for failure of large scale change.
- Strategy – What steps the organization plans take to differentiate itself.
- Business Capabilities – How the organization wants to work and be measured.
- Technical Enablers – The set of technology capabilities to fulfill the business capabilities
- Culture – The values and beliefs of the organization.
- Competencies – What the organization needs to perform their jobs well.
- Structure – The organizational structure and units of authority.